Upgrade Ops Manager with an
This tutorial describes how to upgrade an existing Ops Manager installation
The version of your existing Ops Manager installation determines your upgrade path. The following table lists upgrade paths per version:
|Existing Version||Upgrade Path|
|2.0 or later||Ops Manager supports direct upgrades from version 2.0.x. Use this tutorial to upgrade directly to 3.4.0.|
|1.8 or earlier||
There are no supported downgrade paths for Ops Manager.
It is crucial that you back up the existing
file because the upgrade process will delete existing data.
- MongoDB 2.6 is no longer allowed as a backing store. The Ops Manager Application Database and all Blockstore Snapshot Stores must be upgraded to at least MongoDB 3.0.8 before attempting the upgrade to Ops Manager 3.4.
- As soon as the upgrade to Ops Manager 3.4 is complete, the system will begin a background migration of all monitoring data to a new schema. This migration requires significant free disk space. Before upgrading to Ops Manager 3.4 ensure that the data partitions for the Ops Manager Application Database have at least 50% free disk space.
- The Automation endpoints for the API are now whitelist protected.
- If you have modified the
mms.conffile in your current installation (generally, not a customary practice), back up the file. You must use the new
mms.conffile installed by the upgrade. You can reapply any modifications after completing the upgrade
- Hardware and Software Requirements
Your servers must meet the Ops Manager System Requirements.
- Administrator Privileges
- You must have administrator privileges on the servers on which you perform the upgrade.
- Download Link
- You must have the download link available on the customer downloads page provided to you by MongoDB. If you do not have this link, you can access the download page for evaluation at http://www.mongodb.com/download.
Before you perform the upgrade procedure, ensure that you have a current backup of the Ops Manager backing databases. To perform a full backup, see Shut Down and Back Up Ops Manager.
To upgrade Ops Manager:
If you are running OpsManager 1.8 or earlier, upgrade first to Ops Manager 2.0.x.
Stop all existing Ops Manager services.¶
Shut down the Ops Manager Application:
sudo service mongodb-mms stop
Download the latest version of the Ops Manager package.¶
- In a browser, go to http://www.mongodb.com and click on the Download button.
- Complete the form.
- On the MongoDB Download Center page, click on the Ops Manager tab.
RedHat 6+ / CentOS 6+ / SUSE 11+ / Amazon Linuxfrom the Platforms drop-down menu.
RPMfrom the Packages drop-down menu.
- Click Download.
The downloaded package is named
<version> is the
Install the Ops Manager package on each server being used for Ops Manager services.¶
.rpm package on each Ops Manager Application server by issuing the
following command, where
<version> is the version of the
sudo rpm -Uvh mongodb-mms-<version>.x86_64.rpm
The installer preserves the existing
file and names the new configuration file
Both are located in
Start Ops Manager on every server.¶
Issue the following command:
sudo service mongodb-mms start