Assign Snapshot Stores to Specific Data Centers¶
Additional Snapshot Stores can be added to meet storage requirements. These additional stores can be deployed in the same data center as the first store. There are times where these stores need to be deployed to other data centers due to either network performance issues or regulatory requirements.
You can bind specific Ops Manager groups to specific snapshot stores and particular data centers. This assigns the backups of particular MongoDB deployments to specific data centers.
This tutorial sets up two snapshot stores, one in each of two separate data centers, and attaches a separate group to each.
- Configure the two Ops Manager Application instances to share a single dedicated
Ops Manager Application Database.
- The members of the Ops Manager Application Database replica set can be put in each data center.
- Configure each Backup Agent to use the URL for its local
Ops Manager Application.
- Each Ops Manager Application can use a different hostname or a split-horizon DNS to point each agent to its local Ops Manager Application.
Provision Servers in Each Data Center¶
Each server must meet the cumulative hardware and software requirements for the components it runs. See Ops Manager System Requirements.
All servers running Backup and Ops Manager Application Databases use MongoDB. They must meet the configuration requirements in the MongoDB Production Notes.
Install MongoDB on the servers that host the:
- Ops Manager Application Database
- Blockstore Databases
See Install MongoDB in the MongoDB manual to find the correct install procedure for your operating system.
To run replica sets for the Ops Manager Application Database and Blockstore Databases, see Deploy a Replica Set in the MongoDB manual.
Install and Start the Ops Manager Application¶
Install the Ops Manager Application in each data center.
See Install Ops Manager for instructions for your operating system.
Each set of installation instructions for each operating system covers how to create a multiple instances of an Ops Manager Application. These activities need to be completed before binding groups to the backup resources.
Bind Groups to Backup Resources¶
In a web browser, open Ops Manager.¶
Create a new Ops Manager group for Data Center #1.¶
- Click Settings.
- Click the My Groups page.
- Click Add Group.
- Enter the group name.
- Click Create Group.
Create a second Ops Manager group for the Data Center #2.¶
Configure backup resources.¶
- Click the Backup tab.
- Click the Daemons page and check that there are two daemons listed.
- Click the Snapshot Storage page.
- Create a file system store or a blockstore using network storage or a MongoDB database in Data Center #2.
- Click Save.
- Click the Oplog Storage page.
- Add an oplog store using a MongoDB database in Data Center #2.
- Click Save.
Assign resources to the data centers.¶
Click the General tab.
Click the Groups page.
Select the name of the group assigned to Data Center 1.
Click the View link to the right of Backup Configuration.
Select the local options for Group 1 / Data Center 1.
Menu Option Backup Daemons Choose Select Backup Daemons then check the daemon that is in Data Center 1. Oplog Stores Choose Select Oplog Stores then check the oplog store that is in Data Center 1. Snapshot Stores Choose Select Snapshot Stores then check the snapshot store that is in Data Center 1.
Repeat steps a to e for Group 2.
If you are using Automation:
- Install the Automation Agent for the group in Data Center 1 on each server in Data Center 1.
- Install the Automation Agent for Data Center 2 on each server in Data Center 2.
- The Automation Agent installs the Monitoring and Backup agents as needed.
If you are not using Automation:
- Select the group assigned to Data Center 1 from the drop-down menu in the top navigation bar.
- Click Deployment, then the Agents tab.
- Click Downloads & Settings.
- Download and install the Monitoring and Backup agents for the group assigned to Data Center 1.
- Select the group in Data Center 2 from the drop-down menu in the top navigation bar.
- Download and install its Monitoring and Backup agents.