Install or Update the Monitoring Agent¶
The Ops Manager Monitoring Agent is a lightweight component that runs within your infrastructure, connects to your MongoDB processes, collects data about the state of your deployment, and then sends the data to Ops Manager, which processes and renders the data.
Multiple Monitoring Agents¶
You can run multiple Monitoring Agents to distribute monitoring assignments and provide failover. Ops Manager distributes monitoring assignments among up to 100 running agents. Each agent monitors a different set of MongoDB processes. One Monitoring Agent per group is the primary agent. The primary agent reports the cluster’s status to Ops Manager. As agents are added or shut down, Ops Manager redistributes assignments. If the primary agent fails, Ops Manager assigns another agent to be the primary agent.
To distribute monitoring assignments among multiple Monitoring Agents, you must use Monitoring Agent version 5.0.0 or higher.
If you run more than 100 Monitoring Agents, the additional agents run as standby agents. A standby agent is completely idle, except to log its status as a standby and periodically ask Ops Manager if it should begin monitoring.
For versions of the Monitoring Agent earlier than version 5.0.0, only one agent handles monitoring assignments. All other running agents are standby agents.
To tune the frequency at which standby agents check to see if they should begin monitoring and the interval Ops Manager uses to determine if a standby agent should start monitoring, see Monitoring Agent Session Failover.
If you install multiple Monitoring Agents, ensure that all the Monitoring
Agents can reach all the
mongod processes in the deployment.
To install multiple agents, simply repeat the installation process.
- Install or Update Through Automation
- Ops Manager installs the agent to the servers you choose and ensures connectivity and access. This is the recommended way to install and run the agent.
- Install or Update with RPM Packages
- Install or update the Monitoring Agent using an
- Install or Update on Ubuntu
- Install or update the Monitoring Agent on Ubuntu using a
- Install or Update on OS X
- Install or update the Monitoring Agent on OS X systems.
- Install or Update on Other Linux Systems
- Install or update the Monitoring Agent on Linux systems other than RPM-based or Ubuntu systems.
- Install or Update on Windows
- Install or update the Monitoring Agent on windows